Thanks

Best Flat Resistant Tire

Looking to regear a scooter for some off road riding (and it will be a 40 frame). Besides hard tires, I was just wondering if anyone here had any really good experiences with flat resistant tire materials?

Slime, Foam, Extra Tube etc......

Going to be traveling over rock, thorns, stumps and sticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketped View Post
    Damn Texan

Thanks
    They make a run flat tire for hand trucks which are the same size as our GSR wheels. I would think they would hold up well as most hand trucks are designed to handle some weight.
    "It's not a Ped unless it has some Scum on it"

2014, 2015, 2016 Pedfest Alumni
    2015, 2016 Wild West Fest Alumni

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XLR8R For This Useful Post:

depog revilo (03-05-2017),Len (03-21-2017)

Thanks
    look up "tire balls" or bib mousse.
    great products, and no flats

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike R. For This Useful Post:

depog revilo (03-05-2017),Len (03-21-2017)

Thanks
    When I was using tubed tires, I always took an old tube and cut it to line the inside of the tire before I put a new tube in.

I heard it helps with small thorns and debris. It won't stop a 1" roofing nail though. Ask me how I know...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to blt113 For This Useful Post:

depog revilo (03-05-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,101 Times in 1,505 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by XLR8R View Post
    They make a run flat tire for hand trucks which are the same size as our GSR wheels. I would think they would hold up well as most hand trucks are designed to handle some weight.
    Although Canadian, that is a good idea. 😘

You figure high speeds are out, you will want torque for that kind of terrain. Lower tire pressure sounds ideal, and the solid tires provide that.

Hooray for Canada!!
    Miss you Mike, you silly bastard. ☻
    Hell Fab

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Depths of Hell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My top speed on this scooter will probably be around 15mph

Planning to gear 7/98 or 6/84
    Damn Texan

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by depog revilo View Post
    Looking to regear a scooter for some off road riding (and it will be a 40 frame). Besides hard tires, I was just wondering if anyone here had any really good experiences with flat resistant tire materials?

Slime, Foam, Extra Tube etc......

Going to be traveling over rock, thorns, stumps and sticks.
    Slime is a mess, both the preventive gels and the puncture fix fluids will mess up the rim and tire tube once used.

There is "tire fix in a can" kits for bikes which will be able to fix small punctures, but larger punctures and increased tire pressure affect this kits so they may not work all the time.

Foam tires ont he other side work great, I watch them closely every time a mobility aid scooter is close by.
    They seem to not bulge under high load so have low rolling resistance, yet they seem comfy enough for people with spine problems so may be good to go offroads where lower tire pressure is wanted as well - additional benefit is a gippy tire threat.

Asides of this, the 4 ply Kenda are of course better than the 2 ply standard wheels and high pressure ( 7-8 PSI and up) seems to prevent most flats reliably and as well reduce events where the wheel collapses deep enough to bulge out and strike/ press away the chain of the rear sproket.

Best advise thus is to go for foam tires, if not doing this go high pressure on ideally Kenda tires and maybe have one of these bike-puncture-fix-in-a-can kits as an emergency repair on you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Do you know what kenda's are 4 ply?

I've been watching videos on the tube about applications and instructionals for foam filling tires. I am heavily considering doing this with some billets or mags. - Mags because I don't want to ruin a set of billets. - Billets because I don't want mags to explode on me under the pressure.

I looked at the TireBalls and holy smoke they are $$$. The Bib mousse seems ideal but I dont think they offer it our tire size.

The easiest way I have seen so far is the solid hand truck tire idea but can someone post a link for one of those tires that isnt already mounted onto a steel wheel.
    Damn Texan

Thanks
    A ghetto alternative to tire balls is tennis balls lol, me and my buddy packed his pit bikes back tire full of them when he got a flat at my property on a Sunday afternoon and all the mx shops were closed.
    It was insanely hard to get them in but then again mounting 10 inch pit bike tires is always insanely hard haha.

It did feel weird to me but the michelin bib mousse also feel the same way to me, it feels dead or less responsive.

Another fix would be cutting your old tube on the inside part that faces the rim. Then you just wrap that tube around your new tube.
    Used to do it all the time on my bmx bike and never got flats that way.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to purplehaze707 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The punctures I had on car, Evo scooter and Goped and E-scooter tires all involved thin nails of some kinds that went into a nearly 90 degrees angle.
    Everything else pops away when rolled over with enough tire pressure.

lower tire pressure as on an electric scoot makes flat intrusion angles possible, mostly on the rear and on breaking and when rolling over nails that are affixed in the ground, by being attached to a plank of wood and so forth.

The only way to be sure is to have tires with a solid core ( impracticable on Gopeds as tire tubes are required on 2 piece rims) similar to armoured vehicle tires, but they all be hard to balance and work on a 2 wheel vehicle since the deflated main tire is still on the rim when the slimmer inner tire/ hard core is used.

The foam filled ones ( example: http://www.partsforscooters.com/154-...y-Scooter-Tire ) seem to work best.
    An additional bonus of some of them is the grey nonmarking rubber doll, this way you can explain them as mobility aid when going off tracks would not be all the way allowed other ways ( this may match the color scheme, too).

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:

depog revilo (03-06-2017),Len (03-21-2017)

Thanks
    depog, on the cheap
    you get a bag of Portland cement, mix it up like to a slurry consistency.

make sure you take the tube out, tape up the valve stem hole
    cut a small slit in the sidewall. fill with cement. duck tape the slit

and you have a flintstone set-up
    on the cheap

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike R. For This Useful Post:

Len (03-21-2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by qwerty View Post

The foam filled ones ( example: http://www.partsforscooters.com/154-...y-Scooter-Tire ) seem to work best..
    Thanks Qwerty, can't tell you how much I appreciate the lead and the link. Will probably order a couple along with some new billets (sold my last set arghhhh)
    Damn Texan

Thanks
    I bought these...

https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Bike-Tire.../dp/B00U0FRT7M

Gopeds require a lot of disassembly to replace a tube. I wrapped each tube twice with the fat tire liner. I haven't had a chance yet to really test it out, but I am hoping for the best...

22. The Following User Says Thank You to speed_phreak For This Useful Post:

depog revilo (03-20-2017)

Thanks
    Did you wrap the product around the tube and put it in the tire or did you run two layers on the inside of the tire and then put the tube in?
    Damn Texan

Thanks
    yea, my description was retarded. I ran two layers inside the tire then put the tube in. Took some work to get it as smooth and lined up as I wanted it, but I can only hope that it will pay off in time not being stranded and not replacing more tubes.